Wednesday 4 January 2012

2012 Finish A-Long (I hope!)



Well, I'm trying not to be too ambitious with this, but....although I only have a few UFO's they are mostly hand stitching/embroidery and I know it will take me an age to do them! AND I have signed up for at least one quilt along (maybe 3 if I am being honest) and then there is the quilt I want to make from the rainbow charm swap, that can wait for another day though!

First of all my crazy Christmas quilt needs a binding, we have been lovingly using it all the holidays with just the zig zagged edge. I must say I have grown to love my fuzzy soft edge but it does need binding or it wont last the test of time. I have plumped for a shop brought binding because I wanted a simple solid colour after all the pattern on the quilt and because I am being lazy and cheap! The whole 7 meters of binding only cost me £2.03! Imagine the cost if I had made it up from yardage. I just need to get it sewn on now.



Then there is this cute little panel, I made it up months ago meaning to turn it into a pouch but didn't! Mostly because I put so much work into it because the pieces are tiny only to realise I had left myself with hardly any seam allowance. I didn't want to hide any of the design as it took me so long and so I just left it on the side hoping inspiration would come to me, it hasn't! But, there is no point loving it and hiding it in the cupboard, I have to make it into something and use it!


Then there is this tea cosy sleeve I brought in a charity shop last year. Its so rare to find something with the pre-printed pattern on that hasn't been started already. I got going on it straight away, I soon got bored! I must get on with it, its just that all that hand embroidery overwhelms me!


This is going to be a Dresden cushion, honest, its a well known fact that fmq Dresden's need at least 3 months airing before they can be made up into a cushion! Seriously, why did I do all the hard work and stop when all I need to do is throw a back on it? This is being done as soon as I find some nice backing.


Finally, my nemesis! The June block for the Birdie Stitches quilt. Cindy so knows what I am talking about here! Why did I ever start, I hate this quilt. I'm hoping that means I will love it the most when it is finally done. I'm not going to list my July-December blocks as ufo's because I haven't even started them and I don't plan on doing it any time soon, I need a breather from it. But I do need to finish this block, it is taunting me lol!


So there it is, I'm hoping I can look back at the end of the quarter with a sense of achievement, no greater dismay than I am in now!

There are still a few spaces left in the Somewhere Over the Rainbow charm swap, sign-ups are here. Be quick though, 15 spaces went as soon as I posted the swap, leaving only 13 and sign -ups haven't even been running 24 hours yet!

10 comments:

Rhonda the Rambler said...

I can't wait to see what you get finished! I have those same birdie blocks in my UFO piles. Started off loving them and then suddenly wanted to go bird hunting. UGH!!! Well eventually I will get there. I never thought to put one block at at time on my list. Great idea!!! Thanks for playing with us.

Sarah said...

Some great projects to finish here :-)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Those poor birdies are getting a hard time from everyone!!

Good luck on the FAL too xxx

Jana said...

Oh, these look very doable. I look forward to seeing these all finished up.

deborah said...

Beautiful projects! Good luck with your finishes :)

Katy Cameron said...

Good luck with your list, you can do it!

Catherine said...

hmmm, I started the birdie blocks too but quickly came to 'unlike' them! You have some lovely things to finish there

Maggie said...

Ooh, do sign me up if there's still room in the swap? Thanks for organizing this!

Nicky said...

I am joining in with Rhonda too in the vain hope I can finish all my UFOs ! Eek! I counted them Double Eek!

Hope you get yours nailed Emily!

Canadian Abroad said...

I love that little panel you made for a pouch so much that I will probably copy it if you don't mind! It is gorgeous.